ubl-dev message

Subject: UBL Credit Note vs. UBL Negative Invoice

Dear developers,

I am new to the list, since decades working on ODF, but since a few years as well on EU e-procurement.
Recently I became an editor of CEN TC 434 (EU eInvoice standard) working group 1, which isÂfocusing on the e-invoice semantics.

We discussed this week the usage of a UBL invoice with a negative amount, which is used inÂNetherland and Denmark. ThisÂnegative invoice is equal toÂa Credit Note.
On the other hand, the CEN TC 434 decided last Wednesday not to allow a negative Credit Note (which would be similar to an invoice).
Now someone mentioned, that there might be still lines within a Credit Note with a negative amount as long the total is not negative.Â
To be honest, I am getting kind of confused. ;-)

Although I was in the beginning surprised by the idea of using a negative invoice as a Credit Note, I do like this way as an easy implementation without additional "XML boilerplate".Â
Could you provide me please with some background/references of the reason to create a set of XML for Credit Note instead of allowing negative invoices?
I might even give the likelyÂheretical suggestion to drop the complexityÂof additional XML for a Credit Note in favour of using negative amount invoices to lower the complexity of the system.

What do you think?
Svante