ubl-dev message

Subject: Pre-payments on RemittanceAdvice

In order to get the sum of the RemittanceAdviceLine BalanceAmounts to match the RemittanceAdvice TotalPaymentAmount how does one include pre-payments while at the same time accounting for all the payments made against an invoice.

Payments that happen after an Invoice (or equivalent) is raised are easy, as you would have one or more RemittanceAdviceLine items which make up the total for the invoice, thus marking the invoice payment as complete.

However if part of the payment was made before an invoice was raised there would be no RemittanceAdvice for that payment, say through a credit or debit card, or if there was an error and there is an open balance on the account which should be applied to this payment, I do not see any way of accounting for it.

In an all electronic world, when not only do we use UBL for all business-business transactions, but also use something like ISO20022 for all banking transactions, open balances are much less likely, but for as long as I have to enter banking transactions through an online-banking system, being human, I am likely to make mistooks.  The question is now I reflect such mistooks and reconcile both ends of the transaction in the UBL documents I am currently generating.

Any ideas?