ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Re: [TC Admin] MIME type for UBL documents

You are right that the Columbia model can not be used with my application, as UBL Extensions are not supported - I can not handle anything that is not in the UBL specification and while the extension mechanism is specified, its content is not.  As I understand it the Columbia model requires UBL extensions.  To my mind the UBL extension mechanism is a mistake precisely because of the interoperability problems with generic code that is introduces.  There are other ways to solve what I understand the Columbian requirement to be (I don't read Spanish, so I do not fully understand the background to the mechanism chosen) which I think would have preserved the basic consistency of UBL.

 The application can only be used to communicate with others using the application, or something compatible with it.  Being free and open source it should be a low entry hurdle,

I do not understand how using a file extension solves the DIAN problem.  They would have as much "right" to use the extension as anyone else, and so a file names as *.ubl might still not be readable by a generic application.

The problem with using an extension is that it is not registered.  In fact there are already *.ubl files, they are used by Texas Instruments DM35x User Boot Loader files (found by Google search of "file extension ubl").

Having a registered mechanism means that the consequences of marking the file as being a UBL file has implications - yes someone can ignore them but at least they are out there and public.  It would in this case mean that the file conforms to the published UBL standard.

Yes the file still needs to be validated as being from someone you expect (an existing partner with whom you have exchanged DigitalCapability/DigitalAgreement documents, or having been downloaded from a Website you trust), and that it is valid XML, have a valid signature signed by the sender (for email)  and that it conforms to the UBL schema, but the intent is that a proper file should be handled by default in the right way (i.e. picked up by the correct application) so that a non-technical user does not have to do something special - most SMEs are not technical users they just want their accounting and other document handling jobs made as simple and hassle free as possible.