ubl-fpsc message

Subject: UBL 0p70 comment "c.1" regarding rendering of UBL instances

Hi David!

My name is Ken and I'm heading up the Forms Presentation Subcommittee
(FPSC) recently created as a subcommittee of UBL:

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200303/msg00000.html
   http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/fpsc/

The LCSC produces sample UBL instances according to different
documentation-oriented use scenarios and we who have been involved in FPSC
have, to date, merely produced suitable renderings for the use scenarios.

We're taking ownership of your question to UBL that has been summarized to
me as:

   "There is no standard way of rendering a UBL document
   into human readable form."

My own opinion is to find a single "standard" way of rendering is contrary
to the usual late-binding philosophy of users of stylesheets choosing their
own preference of how they wish to regard the information found in an
instance.  I would not support tying UBL instances to stylesheets for fear
of losing flexibility provided by late-binding approaches.  I'll be
interested to hear the opinions of other members of our subcommittee.

However, your comment brought up that there are no diagnostic renderings
with which one would expose the content of a UBL instance outside the
context of any use scenario.  Such a rendering would be a PDF output of the
content, merely as content.  I'm looking into making this a generic
stylesheet and not a particular requirement of FPSC.

By cc'ing our subcommittee list, I'm bringing these points of view to the
attention of our fledgling subcommittee ... would you be interested in
joining FPSC in order to participate in this and other related questions
and activities regarding the rendering of UBL instances?  To join FPSC one
must first join UBL as we take our subcommittee members from the UBL list
of members.  CommerceOne is a member, so it shouldn't be a lot of effort to
get you involved.

At the least, please let me know if you would like to elaborate on your
question so our committee can be assured we are addressing all of your
concerns.  In the progress of our work we will compose the formal
disposition of your comment and feed that back to LCSC for inclusion in
their report.

Thanks David!

................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses:   Europe (XSLT/XPath):    May  5, 2003
-                            Europe (XSL-FO):        May 16, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc