ubl-fpsc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-fpsc] docbook.xml for 0.70 format specs

At 2003-07-02 15:03 +0100, Stephen Green wrote:
>Do we still have the docbook xml instances for the 0.70 format
>specifications?

They never existed in DocBook.

>I imagine it would be quickest to use these as the basis for the 0.80 specs.

The committee came into existence after I did all of the 0.70 work.  Not
realizing there would even be a committee, I did all the original work in
an in-house unpublished vocabulary.  One of the design decisions for the
new project work was to adopt the OASIS recommendations for documentation,
which included the use of DocBook.

You'll note the first formal work I did in the new committee was to create
the new documentation conventions and stylesheets.  Thankfully, the 0.70
specifications are very skeletal and there isn't a lot of work to do to put
the same information into DocBook (though I recognize there is at least
some impact on the schedules).

Plus, the 0.70 specifications were just my idea at the time of what a
specification should look like ... since we are starting from a fresh
slate, perhaps we needn't follow what I did in 0.70 ... can you suggest a
better approach to the structure of a formatting specification?

>We're just a little behind schedule on these format specifications but
>otherwise OK, I think.

Based on what I learned last week about global/local and type sharing not
being one in the same problem, I now agree (though last week I was still
frightened about the amount of change I thought would have been
necessary).  Most of the work is figuring out the mappings, not creating
the documentation of those mappings.

>In view of the discussions about containers and the like on LCSC/NRDSC
>lists I'd be wary of not leaving time to change things a bit if need be -
>even if just to try out what is being agreed.

Yes, we may indeed be presented with some last-minute changes.

Thanks, Stephen, for bringing this issue out in the open ... I hadn't
realized members were unaware there are no legacy DocBook files to work
with.  But, as I said, this also gives us the flexibility to do what we want.

.................. Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: in-house corporate training available;
North America public:  XSL-FO Aug 4,2003; XSLT/XPath Aug 12, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc