Mail Index message

Subject: Re: [ubl-fssc] Formal proposal for subcommittee (fwd)

Oops, should be also cc-ed to UBL FSSC.  Sorry.

cheers,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:58:58 +0800 (SGT)
From: Chin Chee-Kai <cheekai@SoftML.Net>
To: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Subject: Re: [ubl-fssc] Formal proposal for subcommittee

Yeah, if embracing the dark side to be a lurker is ok,
please put me on the subcomm if you may.

Just dabbling a bit on the draft charter, like to give a
bit of late opinions on nit-picking the 3 paras:

   1. To liaise with standardization organizations responsible for
      paper-based business commerce forms regarding evolving
      requirements for the display of information.

Suggest adding "international" before "standardization", and
de-focus "display" in favor of "presentation".  Suggest
renumbering it to number 2 (please see 2 below).

   2. To liaise with international standardization organizations
      responsible for paper-based business commerce forms
      regarding evolving requirements for the presentation of
      information.

-------------------

   2. To rapidly develop and document formal technology-agnostic
      Formatting Specifications as interpretations of
      internationally standardized or otherwise available
      paper-based forms for the rendering of UBL documents
      suitable for the human reader.

What does "technology-agnostic Formatting Specifications"
mean?  Suggest to use a simpler description so won't create
unnecessary confusion.  Suggest also replacing "rendering"
(output-only), to "presentation".  "UBL documents suitable
for the human reader" seems to suggest that there are UBL
documents that are not suitable for the human reader.
Suggest doing away with raising this question.  Suggest
shifting this to number 1 as it appears to be the bulk of
work and primary purpose (correct me if I'm mistaken please).

   1. To rapidly develop and document internationally standardized
      or otherwise available paper-based forms for the presentation
      of UBL documents to the human reader.

-------------------

   3. To foster implementations of these interpretations through
      coordination, guidance and responsiveness to queries, in
      order to test the viability of using different technologies
      in real-world scenarios (e.g. stylesheet technologies, print
      technologies, data entry strategies, etc.).

Suggest shifting bracketed explanations to "Scope of Work"
for elaborations.  Does the "test" mentioned here imply a
resulting documentation of test results, or test tools or
developed prototypes, or something else?  Ie, should people,
after reading this para, expect some kind of test result,
tools, prototypes to be available?  If so, we could probably
state them as a targeted objective.  If not (or the sense
isn't that strong as to state it as an necessary outcome),
we could perhaps do away with stating "in order to test"
as that can be burried under SC activities.

(Assuming the latter and with the renumbering)
   3. To foster, through coordination, guidance and responsiveness
      to queries, in implementations of these international
      presentation standards.

Also, I dunno if this might be important, but should there be
some clarification under "Technical Liaison" perhaps on how
FPSC interacts with LSC as well as with the external organisations
with whom LSC happens to also interact?

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML