ubl-hisc message

Subject: Re: [ubl-hisc] Reminder of XPath files that will be neededfor inputspecifications

Micah

Hi

I've no problem with XPaths being used to specify nodes, mappings,
presentation, etc. I just question a little the reasoning that UBL should
only provide such specifications (and not actually provide, say, XForms)
as being a matter of keeping things technology-neutral. I guess my
own reasoning was along the lines: if Xpath is OK and considered technology
neutral then why can't XForms be considered technology neutral.
*BUT* now I think about it is clearer to me: I think Ken meant that UBL
should not be fostering a particular technology for the form itself and
that providing the XPath only (which isn't itself a form of course)
decouples UBL from the form. I wouldn't share entirely the sentiment
of what seems to me a shying away from pushing a particular technology for
the form in the W3C XForms case but I sympathise that not everyone wants
the form to be in such-and-such a technology and that HISC should be
sensitive to this and take account of it in what it delivers.

I guess my own feeling was that by providing XForms as the implementation,
HISC could present something of an open standard solution to the technology
issue but I'm prepared to accept the idea, as we did before as FPSC, of
leaving the production of the forms themselves to work outside UBL itself,
albeit by implementers including some HISC members.

Sorry to have caused confusion.

All the best

Steve

Stephen Green wrote:

>I'm not enirely convinced that XPath
>is more technology neutral than say XForms.

Stephen,

Did you have something else in mind? Because I honestly can't think of
any reasonable alternative at the XPath layer.

In fact, when I look at Ken's XPaths, I see only a small subset of XPath
in use: no predicates, no functions, no operators, and only the default
(child) and @ (attribute) axes.

I would love to hear about alternate proposals, though for now I'd have
to recommend XPath or a suitable subset.

Thanks!

.micah

--
  Available for consulting. XForms, web forms, information overload.
  Micah Dubinko                           mailto:micah@dubinko.info