ubl-jplsc message

Subject: encoding issue and OpenOffice

Hello, Jon.

This is my opinion regarding langauage translation.

1) Target translation documents
   a) OASIS overview & regulation
      -TC process
      -OASIS Bylaw
      -IPR pilicy
      -TC Guide
   b) UBL presentations
      -What, Why,......  (I think Tim McGrath's ppt is good for
understanding)
   c) UBL Specifications
      -committee Draft 1.0
      -delta files (the information of difference between old version and
current version)

2) encoding & applications

   a) We should use the shift-JIS encoding within Japan.
   b) I think we should not merge Japanese, Chinese and Korean language
fields into one spreadsheet yet.

   -I think there are still some problems in Unicode.
   -Shift-JIS is a default in Japan (of course, almost all of the
applications support it with default.)
   -The OpenOffice (Japanese version) still has a problem.
   (I tried to install. But 1.0.3 of OpenOffice and 1.1.0 caused the file
error, and installation of them was not completed.)
   (Only the English version is available on my desktop)

    more detail Info.
    1.1.o caused file error at the melting f-0295.
    1.0.3 caused file error at another melting point.  (download from
Japanese OpenOffice website)
    Though I ignore this melting error, I can't install because there aren't
enough files.
    I think this error is caused by CJK file.

3) OASIS Web site
   I think we need to build a local Web site. (Mailing-List, Web page and
Database )

   -OASIS's KAVI system still has some problems in CJK handling.
   (Please see the JPLSC KAVI page. Probably you can find out that the
character is not displayed correctly.)
   (And please check the attachment file which was sent automatically from
KAVI when I posted a document into KAVI.)
   -Microsoft commented that Excel system supported the Unicode from version
2003.
    But I have only the version 2000 which isn't  enough to support the
Unicode.

I will send another email later regarding JPLSC activities.

Thanks.

Noboru  Itoh
JPLSC