Subject: [ubl-lcsc] Feedback on XML Schema for BIEs

I would like to know if we are making progress on the BIE structures,
before our next call (jan 8th).

Over the break, I have spent some time looking at and attempting to use
the XML Schemas sent by Gunther on 18th Dec.

My understanding of how we can use these schemas is that we...

a. build on the structure provided either from the BaseItemDetail_01.xsd
(for BaseItemDetail) or OrderSummary_Op1.xsd (for OrderSummary) or
UblBie.xsd for any other structures.

b. create new elements for all BIEs and aggregate BIEs utilising the
CoreComponentTypes where possible. This is the same process we
identified when using the spreadsheet formats.

c. use <documentation> elements within <annotation> for the meta data
(our spreadsheet column headings).  This includes noting the "contains"
and "contained in" BIEs and ABIEs as well.

I am interested in hearing from others what they feel about this method,
such as:

* the use of XML Spy as a suitable tool. (i do not have Explorer 5.6 or
6.0, so i cannot use the document edit view - which may impede my
perspective)
* the appropriateness of the schema structure (is the meta data at a
meaningful level??)

- with a view to how we can improve the process. I am concerned that the
method and technology may be a distraction from our analysis rather than
an aide.

fremantle  western australia 6160
phone: +618 93352228  fax: +618 93352142