Subject: [ubl-lcsc] [ontolog] A mini-program on ontological approaches at thenext UBL f2f meeting

Further to earlier discussions (4/2 & 4/16/02) that I should try to put together a mini program to
further explore how our work on UBL can be augmented by understanding and sharing experience with
practitioners in ontology, I am glad to say that I've got words from Leo Obrst (MITRE; W3C
WebOntology Working Group; also see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2001Nov/0037.html) that he has finally got MITRE
project approval and is likely going to be coming to our next face-to-face meeting in Minneapolis,
at least for the first two days.

1.  Here is my proposal for time/participation allocation. Once we get that established, we can
discuss, among those who had indicated their interest in the matter (whom I have copied in this
message; in fact, I've also copied the lcsc-list on Tim's request), and discuss over e-mail to
further refine the program to optimize on this invaluable face-time.

2.  I am suggesting a 3 part mini-program --

(1)  A plenary, with
    (a)  a tutorial on ontology & ontological engineering -- to be given by Leo Obrst (1 - 1.5 hr.)

    (b)  followed by Q&A and very high level discussions of where this can lead us (0.5 hr.)
(2)  Three separate one-hour sessions with individual sub-committees
    (a)  with Library Content SC  (1 hr.)
    (b)  with Naming & Design Rules SC  (1 hr.)
    (c)  with Context Methodology & Context Driver SCs  (1 hr.)
(3)  A gathering of a sub-group of UBL members who are interested in pursuing this further to
    (a)  brainstorm and to map out what should be done  (0.75 hr.)
    (b)  discuss how we should approach and continue this work,   (0.75 hr.)
    (c)  get organized (propose forming an SC; appointing a liaison; ...etc.), and   (0.5 hr.)
    (d)  make formal proposals on institutionalizing continuing activities. (0.25 hr.)

3.  Based on Jon's first 2 days' agenda for the Minneapolis meeting, I am proposing the following
time/participation allocation (as marked against Jon's schedule) --
<quote>
Monday 3 June
07:30 - 10:00 UBL Meeting Registration
09:00 - 10:00 Check-in and coffee
10:00 - 10:30 UBL Opening Remarks
10:30 - 11:00 SC report: Library Content
11:00 - 11:30 SC report: Naming and Design Rules
11:30 - 12:00 SC report: Tools and Techniques
12:00 - 13:00 Lunch    *[1a]
13:00 - 13:30 SC report: Context Methodology
13:30 - 13:45 SC report: Liaison
13:45 - 14:00 SC report: Marketing
14:00 - 16:00 Subcommittee meetings   *[1b]  or [alt.1a +1b]
16:00 - 17:00 X12 Plenary (Time approximate)
17:00 - 18:00 X12 Reception (Time approximate)

Tuesday 4 June
09:00 - 12:00 UBL Subcommittee meetings
                                           9:30-10:30  *[2a]
                                         11:00-12:00  *[2b]
12:00 - 13:00 Lunch Break
13:00 - 17:00 UBL Subcommittee meetings
                                         13:00-14:00  *[2c]
                                         14:00-16:00  *[3a+3b+3c]
                               *[3d] will be left for Friday 7 June
</quote>

3. Jon/Tim/Eve/Arofan/Sue -- Please review and advise if the above proposal is ok with you and your
teams. Kindly make alternative suggestions if the above is not acceptable.

4. Since the f2f is quickly approaching, and there will quite a bit of prep work involved prior to
the meeting, may I request that we finalize the schedule/time allocation by this Friday
5/17/02-5:00pm PDT.
May I also take the liberty to assume that if I don't hear from anyone, then the above proposed
schedule is deemed accepted by that person, and I'll move forward to make the necessary
preparations accordingly.

I shall look forward to a fruitful meeting to come.

Thanks & regards,
PPY