Subject: RE: [ubl-lcsc] [Order Response]Re: Getting started on Order Respo nse

I agree adding the word description of the process will show the Activity
Diagram much better.  The eBTWG Business Process team has designed their
worksheet to capture this information, it is in the Use Case description.
Following the Use Case worksheet is where the Activity Diagram goes, the
Activity Diagram and the Rules Table (newly created) are for supporting the
Use Cases. I am currently working with the BP team to improve and organize
the worksheet to show a better flow from BP definition down to the
supporting data, new release of the Boeing example worksheet is planned
before Barcelona meeting (meaning today or tomorrow!).

Please see additional comment below.

Thanks,
Sally Chan

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Adcock [mailto:Michael.Adcock@apacs.org.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 8:50 AM
To: sally.m.chan@boeing.com; tmcgrath@portcomm.com.au
Cc: ubl-lcsc@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] [Order Response]Re: Getting started on Order
Respo nse

I'm happy with the diagram, with one exception. The words to each arrow
are activities with the exception of 'Order Exception'. I suppose it
would be something like 'suggest/advise order exception'.
Sally: I will review this.

It would also be useful to have a diagram that shows the 'document'
names that we use, even if it is a non-UML diagram! Especially if we
have the activity 'acknowledge order' with the document 'order
response'. While we are in this mode, what would we call the document
that conveys the order exception?
Sally: Good idea.  I will work on this.  (This information is currently
capture in the Business Transaction work sheet and not show the big
picture.)

Our modelling guru would say to us "what are the words that naturally
describe what it is that the business is trying to do?" He maintains
that the words should give the words that you need for the activity and
the name of the document, or at least very strong clues!

The natural description for me would go along the lines of:-

"The buyer places an order with the seller. If the seller is able and
wishes to fulfil the order, the seller confirms acceptance to the buyer.
If the seller is not able to fulfil the order as received from the
buyer, the seller advises the buyer of this. In advising the buyer, the
seller may suggest alternatives which the seller believes would satisfy
the buyer. If these are acceptable to the buyer, the buyer re-places the
order with seller giving appropriately amended detail. If the seller is
now able and wishes to fulfil the replaced order, the seller confirms
acceptance to the buyer. Otherwise the cycle of suggesting alternatives
reoccurs. Only when the seller confirms acceptance of the order to the
buyer has the seller undertaken a legal commitment to fulfil the
order."

You might want to play around with precise words, but I think this is
the actual gist of what we have to say.

regards

Mike Adcock
Standards & Security Unit
APACS - Association for Payment Clearing Services
Mercury House, Triton Court
14 Finsbury Square
London EC2A 1LQ
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7711 6318
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7711 6299
e-mail: michael.adcock@apacs.org.uk

The opinions expressed are those of the individual and not the company.
  Internet communications are not secure and therefore APACS does not
     accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.
  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
employee responsible for delivering this communication to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution or
   copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
          telephone to arrange for its return.  Thank you.