Subject: RE: [ubl-lcsc] RE: [ubl-ndrsc] Functional Dependency and Normalization paper

I admit it is has been a few months since I last participated in the UBL
NDRSC or LCSC discussion threads or telecons. So forgive me if I am missing
something from the previous discussions.

The concept of associating any XML data-containing-tag with a universal ID
that captures the complete semantics of the root-to-leaf tree structure is
the fundamental foundation of the UDEF naming convention and its derived ID.
The UDEF naming convention is relatively simple and 100% conformant to the
ISO 11179. My observation is that the ebXML Core Components approach is very
complex and misses the mark in the proper interpretation of ISO 11179. I
highly recommend that the teams take a close look at ISO 11179 part 1 -
especially Figures 6-1, 7-1, and B-1. Collectively, these figures provide
the comparison to the relational systems that nearly all back-office systems
are based upon - especially  the larger Fortune 500 companies and large
government organizations.

Attached is a spreadsheet from EIDX that illustrates the UDEF names and IDs
as they are correlated to an example purchase order across several standards
such as OAG, X12, RosettaNet, EDIFACT, and others. In addition to the
Aerospace Industries Association (AIA), the Electronic Industries Data
Exchange (EIDX) has adopted the UDEF approach as the means to integrate
across the wide spectrum of XML standards.

If UBL is not ready yet to listen - I will again return to my observation
post.

Ronald L. Schuldt
Senior Staff Systems Architect
Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
11757 W. Ken Caryl Ave. #F521 MP DC5694
Littleton, CO 80127
303-977-1414
ron.l.schuldt@lmco.com