Subject: RE: [ubl-lcsc] [QA] 11/6/2002: Revisions to Scope Document

All,

Businesses frequently issue purchase orders for a period of time, say a
month, with multiple planned releases during the period.  The pulp and paper
industry is an example of one of these industries where this practice is
common.  An order will be sent from a publisher on the 15th of the month for
shipments to be processed in the following month and the cycle repeats
itself every month.  This industry has the luxury of a fairly predictable
cycle of usage and orders are fairly consistent, where quantities ordered
will be similar for a given month when compared to the same month over a
3 -5 year period.  This histogram is used by mill management and product
schedulers to measure predicted usage and to estimate production cycles for
various product grades, sizes, etc.

If I'm reading the proposal and position correctly, you are saying that if I
create an order, generated on the 15th of the month (say July 15th for
August shipments, and we're into the 10th of August) you would re-generate
the order completely if I have changes for a 14th and 20th release - even
though it's the 10th and shipments would have been released against the
original order.

This practice is not uncommon and is, in fact, the norm in this business.  I
would suspect that in a JIT environment, orders with multiple line items
representing releases over a period of time would be even more common.
These are not blanket orders, by the way, so we can't just say "that's a
blanket order and we'll deal with it in another transaction".

Are we looking at real business practices and the associated ERP or legacy
applications that support them?  If the goal is to create a library of data
elements available for industries to model transactions like this after,
that's good enough.  We just need to make sure the tools are given to the
practitioners to be able to build these transactions and their usages.

Terry Schager
Principal
Aeon Consulting
322 Pleasant Hill Rd.