Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] Formulating a response to the UDEF discussions

Thanks bill.  i was actually trying to get out a draft, i wasn't expecting answers ;-)   still i appreciate your points and think the liaison presentation is a good idea.  like most issues this appears to have strategic as well as technical considerations and the UBL Liaison subcommittee is a more suitable forum for the former.

With respect to the technical issues, i think we need to be clear what our options are.  For example, does the UDEF ID give us any advantage over  our own Unique IDs (or CC UIDs)?

Also, I would still like to give some feedback to Ron in recognition of the effort he and sally put into their presentation. Maybe i should rephrase my response to separate the first two questions from the third.  What do you think?

Bill French wrote:
Tim,

I've been involved with the UDEF effort.  A couple of points:

	- The UDEF effort is being driven through the Aerospace Industry
Association (AIA).  EIA is
  	  the Electronics Industry Alliance... different group.  It's an
important distinction
	  however, since UDEF adoption by the AIA will likely lead to
adoption by the US Government,
	  especially the military and defense sectors.  That said, the high
tech sector, EIDX, is
	  putting UDEF into it's cross-reference models.

	- The UDEF team has been cognizant of the Cefact CC work.  However,
further alignment
	  will be necessary (which they realize), and I know there are folks
who are interested
	  in making that happen who are actively involved with UDEF (me
included).

	- They do have a proposed governance model.  What I would propose is
that we ask Ron
	  Schuldt, who is the co-chair of the UDEF team, to present this
model to the liaison
	  team.  If that's acceptable, I can make those arrangements.

regards,
Bill