Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] DRAFT: UBL samples and stylesheets available

This is good, but i think we need to be clearer on what is in the FS
material:

it has stylesheets, the necessary mechanics and PDF/HTML examples of the
office and stationery scenarios.  these layouts are just typical
business layouts (not the UN Layout Key).  also, as we noted on our
call, the sample instances it contains and uses do not exactly match
those published as our sample instances set.

it has stylesheets, the necessary mechanics and PDF/HTML examples of
some of the UN Layout key document types.  the sample instances it
contains and uses do not appear in our sample instances set.

hopefully, my suggested edits below make this distinction - but i leave
it up to your judgement on the exact wording.

Jon Bosak wrote:

>This is a draft of the announcement I intend to release to the
>usual lists Wednesday morning California time.  (I said Tuesday
>evening in today's LCSC call, but I'd like to give our European
>participants a chance to review the text.  Also, the zip file
>hasn't been refreshed yet.)  Please post any corrections,
>additions, or changes to the LCSC list.
>
>Jon

>*To: ubl@lists.oasis-open.org, ubl-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
>*Subject: UBL samples and stylesheets available
>
>UBL SAMPLES AND STYLESHEETS AVAILABLE
>
>   Supplementary materials to aid in the prototyping of UBL
>   applications have been released in an updated UBL 0p70 review
>   package.  The updated package can be found at
>
>      http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/lcsc/0p70/
>
>   A zip file containing the entire updated review set packaged
>   for local installation can be downloaded from
>
>      http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/lcsc/0p70/UBL0p70.zip
>
>   In addition to the data modeling spreadsheets, XML schemas,
>   ASN.1 specifications, and UML diagrams included in the UBL 0p70
>   review package announced 27 January 2003, the updated package
>   now includes UBL instance documents for two representative
>   trading scenarios together with stylesheets showing how such
>   documents can be rendered visually.

"Stylesheets and sample documents are also available to demonstrate
document presentation using the UN Layout Key. "

>The spreadsheets, schemas,
>   ASN.1 specifications, and UML diagrams released earlier are
>   unchanged, and the downloadable set has been designed to
>   install directly into an installation of the set previously
>   released (all previously installed files should be
>   overwritten).
>
>SAMPLE INSTANCES
>
>   The basic UBL trading cycle described in Section 5.3 of the
>   0p70 review package, "UBL v0p70 Trading Cycle Scenario," has
>   now been illustrated in a new Section 5 of Annex D, "Other
>   Document Samples."  The examples show four of the seven
>   standard UBL documents (Order, Order Response, Despatch Advice,

It is five of seven - Order Response (simple) and Order Response
(Complex). The two we don't show are Receipt Advice and Order Cancellation.

>   and Invoice) being used to support the UBL trading cycle in two
>   specific business contexts: ordering office supplies and
>   ordering building materials.  The sample instances are
>   accompanied by diagrams illustrating each set of document
>   interchanges.

i prefer this last sentence to say something like... "The sample
instances are accompanied by a narrative scenario and UML diagram to
describe the context and business processes involved."

>SAMPLE STYLESHEETS
>
>   Section D.4 of the 0p70 review package, "Formatting
>   specifications and stylesheets," has now been filled out with
>   XSL-FO and XSLT stylesheets that render instance documents by
>   means of print formatters and web browsers in a manner
>   conformant to the United Nations Layout Key for printed forms.

"and other printed forms" - there are more than UN Layout Key formats here.

>   The stylesheets are intended to serve as starting points for
>   UBL prototype applications and as illustrations of the
>   alignment between the electronic specifications provided by the
>   UBL schemas and the printed forms currently used in
>   international trade.

"domestic and international trade" - the office and joinery example
formats are just typical layouts used for everyday business.

>STATUS
>
>   As works in progress, the materials in the Library Content 0p70
>   Public Review package do not yet have the status of an OASIS
>   Standard or an OASIS Committee Specification.  The construction
>   of experimental prototypes based on these materials is
>   encouraged for the purpose of generating input back to the
>   committee process, but implementers are strongly advised
>   against basing commercial or mission-critical applications on
>   the draft specifications.
>
>   This supplementary release completes the UBL 0p70 review
>   package.  Further supplements, if any, will be released

Rather than this sentence, how about "Extended examples, sample document
instances and other items related to prototype implementations will be
posted separately as these are developed by or submitted to the UBL group."