Subject: [ubl-lcsc] [Fwd: [ontolog-forum] Proposal for UBL Ontology Project]

Title:
I will add this to tuesday's agenda onder 'other business'.  i would like to support this group and get ideas from the team as to how best to do this.

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 23:17:21 -0800
From: Kurt Conrad <conrad@sagebrushgroup.com>
To: Ontolog Forum <ontolog-forum@ontolog.cim3.net>
CC: Jon Bosak <Jon.Bosak@sun.com>

All,

A few weeks ago, Peter forwarded a message announcing the release of
a new Universal Business Language (UBL) Library (see
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2003-01/msg00022.html).

There has been some discussion around the idea of creating an
ontology based on the UBL schemas.  After discussing this idea with
some of the principles of the UBL effort, the general consensus is
that the existing specification
(http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/lcsc/0p70/) is stable enough to
begin engineering an ontology from it.

It also appears that this project would mesh nicely with the goals
that motivated many of us to join the Ontolog forum in the first
place, most notably:

- Learn about ontologies (concepts, language, best practices)
- Identify a lifecycle process for developing ontology-based systems
- Increase awareness and understanding of ontology tools
- Work with a group of people on a common ontology
- Apply ontologies to real-world applications, especially eBusiness

Some of the key activities needed to get this off the ground include:

- Outlining objectives for the project
- Developing methods and work plans
- Identifying targeted formalization framework(s)
- Ensuring access to needed tools and infrastructures for collaboration
- Identifying project participants

We all know success rates of these types of virtual projects.  As
such, I believe that we need a reality check before agreeing to take
on this mission.  Accordingly, I suggest that we all start by
weighing in with the potential objectives for this type of project to
see if there is sufficient interest, alignment, and consensus.

It is my hope that this project will prove to be more engaging than a
general discussion has been and will encourage more participants to
weigh in with their potentially divergent ideas about ontological
engineering.

Your thoughts?

/s/ kwc 2003.03.02 23:17

Kurt Conrad
2994 Salem Dr.                     408-247-0454
Santa Clara, CA 95051-5502         408-247-0457 (data/fax)
http://www.SagebrushGroup.com      mailto:conrad@SagebrushGroup.com

To Post: mailto:ontolog-forum@ontolog.cim3.net
Msg Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/

fremantle  western australia 6160
phone: +618 93352228  fax: +618 93352142