Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] Document instance UUID

<Quote>
For instance, in real life, duplicates might need to be sent
by administrators due to various transport reasons (or others)
such as file received corrupted/incomplete, interim network
disruption/failure, etc.  Repeated sends might be initiated by
business managers and have business implications as they could
mean genuine reminders or a contractual obligation to send
reminders prior to taking some business actions.
</Quote>

Great thoughts. I believe that documents are not usually referenced in
this regard by a 128-bit unique identifier (such as
urn:uuid:a2345678-1234-1234-234567890129), but rather by a unique
identifier at the document level (such as Purchase Order Number). At a
lower level, messages sent by a system might have a unique identifier
assigned to them (and recorded in system logs) that can aid in
troublehsooting in the cases referenced above (this is what the system
folks would trace on). But conversations between business managers would
most likely revolve around identifiers such as a Purchase Order Number.

On the other hand, if the documents were to be stored in a registry
(such as an ebXML Registry), they would automatically be assigned a UUID
by virtue of the fact that they are a RegistryObject.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Chin Chee-Kai wrote:

> Should we add a placeholder for UUID (Universally Unique
> IDentifier) definition to all 7 document types?
>
> These UUIDs are meta data perculiar to the document instance
> (not the document type), and are generated by UBL-processors
> at the point when the document instance is created.
>
> Independent ERP/MRP/DP systems may have their own system of
> issuing serial IDs, but there is no guarantee that the IDs
> will be unique across other systems, companies, countries.
>
> The UUIDs offer characteristics that allow such purposes
> as document instance "equality test", indexing and tracking,
> to be carried out in a more well-defined manner.
>
> In addition, using UUIDs, we might also then distinguish
> between document duplicates (different UUID but everything
> else may be the same values) and repeated sends (same UUID
> used in the files) of the same document.
>
> For instance, in real life, duplicates might need to be sent
> by administrators due to various transport reasons (or others)
> such as file received corrupted/incomplete, interim network
> disruption/failure, etc.  Repeated sends might be initiated by
> business managers and have business implications as they could
> mean genuine reminders or a contractual obligation to send
> reminders prior to taking some business actions.
>
> Regards,
> Chin Chee-Kai
> SoftML
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano