Subject: [Fwd: Re: UBL, XMI, XSD, RSS, etc] on behalf of Tony Coates

Title:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: UBL, XMI, XSD, RSS, etc
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 23:04:25 +0100
From: "Anthony B. Coates" <abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com>
To: "Monica J. Martin" <monica.martin@sun.com>
CC: Tim McGrath <tmcgrath@portcomm.com.au>

** Reply to message from "Monica J. Martin"  on Sun, 01
Jun 2003 20:20:04 -0600

[ I'll need someone to forward this to the LCSC list for me, please. ]

> mm1: To your point, and in a similar circumstance, ODETTE is working to
> define a global data model.  Uses UML.  Has placed
> a specific set of constraints to generate XMI and then results in XML
> Schema (Note: The constraints ensure the result is a consistent logical
> data model - given you can get different results with different tools
> using different XML Schema design preferences).

Relating to this, I did a quick XSLT implementation of the method by which
SWIFT generates XML Schemas from UML for ISO 15022.  I exported my model from
Rose as XMI, but rather than process this directly, I first transformed it into
a much simpler XML metamodel, one which modelled only the things that the
restricted ISO 15022 UML actually allowed you to express.  From this simpler
model, it was much easier to then generate the Schema.  By this method, I could
implement about 70% of the ISO 15022 Schema generation rules in about 400 lines
of XSLT.  So, XMI is good, but my experience is that it isn't the best thing to
generate XML Schemas from directly.

	Cheers,
		Tony.
====
Anthony B. Coates
London Market Systems Limited
33 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2BR
http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/
mailto:abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
[MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/]
[FpML Arch WG Member (Financial Products Markup Language), http://www.fpml.org/]
This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material and is intended for the use of the addressee only.
Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this Email by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply  facility in your e-mail software.
Email is not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems Limited cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus infection, for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please request a hard copy. Unless otherwise stated any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not represent those of London Market Systems Limited.

phone: +618 93352228