Subject: [Fwd: [ubl-ndrsc] Fwd: HKSARG XML Guide]

Title:
FYI, this is a worthwhile description of the work being done on building XML vocabularies in Hong Hong.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [ubl-ndrsc] Fwd: HKSARG XML Guide
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:37:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: jon.bosak@sun.com
To: ubl-ndrsc@lists.oasis-open.org
CC: ytlee@cecid.hku.hk

FYI.  Please respond directly to Thomas with comments on this
package.

Jon

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:07:06 +0800
From: Thomas Lee
To: MCRAWFORD@lmi.org
CC: jon.bosak@sun.com, "H.Sugamata"
Subject: HKSARG XML Guide

Dear Mark,

This is Thomas Lee from CECID Hong Kong. I had an ATG2 teleconference
with you on April 7. I mentioned about an XML Schema Design and
Management Guide we have been developing for the Hong Kong SAR
Government (HKSARG). We've just finished a DRAFT version as attached and
would like to seek comments from your group.

The attachment is packaged as follows:

Part 1 - Overview: an introduction to the objectives of this project and
the deliverables.
Part 2 - XML Schema Design Guide: an XML Schema design methodology we
have produced based on CCTS and UBL. It is intended to standardize the
mechanisms for producing XML Schemas for HKSARG G2G and G2B joined-up
services.
Part 3 - XML Schema Management Guide: the policy and organization we
propose to manage and standardize the XML Schemas produced by different
government departments.
Part 4 - Appendices: supplementary information for applying the Guide,
including a case study for illustrating the use of the Design Guide.

I would like to add a point that the way of standardizing schemas for
HKSARG is quite different from the ways commonly used by other standards
bodies, such as ATG2 and UBL. We have adopted a rather decentralized and
progressive approach for HKSARG, in which schema components to be
standardized are contributed by projects. HKSARG does not intend to
standardize schemas at the document level (at least initially) while it
seeks to standardize only essential schema components, such as different
types of addresses (e.g. postal address, physical address, etc.).  The
reason is partly due to that this progressive approach is strategically
more feasible than the big bang approach for standardization because of
the decentralized IT management nature in HKSARG.

Therefore, we choose to provide a simple standard methodology for
project teams to capture buisness requirements and translate them into
consistent schema code. We have extensively simplified and systematized
CCTS for project teams, who are not expected to be XML and
standardization experts, to use. A very small central team will be
formed to standardize only essential schema components of which the
business requirements are contributed by project teams. Owing to the
extensive customization, we seek to remove and modify some complex CCTS
concepts and features. Therefore, some potential deviations from CCTS
should be expected.

I believe your team could provide us with valuable suggestions on
further enhancing our deliverables with your XML standardization
experience and expertise. On the other hand, you may also see whether
some guidelines in the Guide are relevant for adoption by your team. You
may upload this package to your e-room for review by your members.

Dear Jon,

I would like to see if the UBL team is also interested in this XML
Guide. BTW, we have adopted many ideas from the UBL methodology. :-)
Please also circulate the package among your members. We would like to
invite comments from your team too.

Regards,

Thomas

--