Subject: Clarification of Containership rules

Following our phone conference yesterday, I agreed to provide you with
some guidelines that will enable you to refine the current position
paper and NDR Rules on this matter.

The following have agreed to assist in your work, to provide examples
and comments on your drafts.

Stephen Green (stephen_green@bristol-city.gov.uk)
Tony Coates (abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com)

The timeframe for completion of this task should be Tuesday July 8th -
the LC team have a meeting at 08:00 California time at which we would
like to table your findings.

Scope of Work:
-------
Currently the NDR Checklist contains two rules:
1. All documents shall have a container for metadata and which proceeds
the body of the document and is named "Head" _____________. (anything
but header)
and
2. All elements with a cardinality of 1..n, (and lack a qualifying
structure) must be contained by a list container named "(name of
repeating element)List", which has a cardinality of 1..1.

These rules require refinement and clarification.  Your mission (should
you accept it), is to present a revised set of rules with documentation
and examples that can be unambiguously and consistently implementable
across the UBL Library.  To assist in this I have tried to summarise the
points as a  problem statement...

Problem Statement:
--------------------
The LC group have had difficulty in implementing these rules
unambiguously for all document types and structures.  We understand that
these rules should not be dependent on semantics or business context and
this prevents us from automatic generating them from our models.

Some issues (and these are not all) we have encountered are:
* Documents which have more than one 1:many association at the
"Header"/root level.  That is, where not only the "lines" can repeat
indefinitely, such as Invoice with AllowanceCharge,
OrderDocumentIdentification, TaxTotal.  We are concerned that this
portends more ambiguities when we deal with documents that are not
simple Header+LineItem(s),structure such as the transportation
documents.  This is already seen in the DespatchAdvice, where the
document may be viewed as Header+TransportHandlingUnit(s) or
Header+Goods. A further compelxity is also seen in the DespatchAdvice
where we have a document that may contain the sub-structure of other
documents (in this case the OrderedItem(s)).
* If we implement the  "(name of repeating element)List" rule, what is
done about:
    (a) 0..n structures
    (b) extensions/derivations/customizations that chnage the
cardinality of an ABIE (e.g. make an optional ABIE, mandatory)
Do we want additional levels of nesting that may hold empty containers, etc?

phone: +618 93352228