Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] Legal aspects of empty elements

<Quote>
I read ahead on Joseph Chiusano's comments on this thread,
and seems like there's a recall for use of xsi:nil.
</Quote>

Clarification: My comment was strictly to provide information on W3C
Schema's handling of empty elements and the use of the xsi:nil in XML
instance documents (since I've encountered this in my work), and was not
intended to suggest any direction on this issue.

Chin Chee-Kai wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, CRAWFORD, Mark wrote:
>
> >>Our decision was based on both
> >>business and technical requirements and we agreed that
> >>empty elements should not be used in transaction-based
> >>exchanges.
>
> This decision agrees with what I described:

> but does less in 2 aspects:
>
> (1) It does not permit a statement of empty elements
>     rendered in the form of empty content.
>
>      Note A: This is different from nil.
>      Note B: An empty string is a valid string and
>              cannot be ruled out a-priori that it is
>              not meaningful to all applications.
>
> (2) When business semantics does require a statement of
>     empty value, the rule does not provision for it.
>
> >>We have already discussed this at length in NDR.
> >>There is no need for the rule you suiggest as we have
> >>already made this decision vis a vis use of the nill
> >>attribute - Rule 32.
>
> I hope "discussed at length" is not given in the sense
> of a proof by intimidation in our discussions.  I've tried
> to refrain from reviewing the NDR rules just so things
> can settle down there, but since you brought it up and it's
> in LC list, here goes:
>
> Rule 32 is confused between nil and empty content.
>
> If you bring this in relation to my side-discussion about
> legal implications of empty elements (with empty content),
> rule 32 gives only one side of the picture and totally
> forgot about the reverse.
>
> For the convenience of people following this discussion,
>
> Rule 32 states:
>
> "The nillable attribute must not be used in any UBL schema.
>  The element declaration of xsi:nil shall not appear in any
>  UBL conforming instance."
>
> and "XML Schema Specification Part 1: Structures" states:
>
> "XML Schema: Structures introduces a mechanism for signaling
> that an element should be accepted as valid when it has no
> content despite a content type which does not require or
> even necessarily allow empty content. An element may be
> valid without content if it has the attribute xsi:nil with
> the value true.  An element so labeled must be empty, but can
> carry attributes if permitted by the corresponding complex type."
>
> The converse is not specified.  That is, an element having
> an empty content need not have xsi:nil and in the event that
> this is so, does not invalidate XML Schema Specification.
> And by this, where an application decides it is necessary to
> generate an empty content (by intent of user), it can do so
> without invoking the use of xsi:nil.
>
> And so what you might have quoted for Rule 32 in response as
> "There is no need for the rule you suiggest as we have
> already made this decision vis a vis use of the nill
> attribute - Rule 32."  is not applicable.
>
> I think there is still a need for a statement to
>
>    (1) State the business meaning it carries when
>        an empty element exists (without using xsi:nil),
>
>    (2) State as a general guide that creation of empty
>        content elements must be the conscious intent
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano