Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] Code Lists Redux

** Reply to message from "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com> on
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:23:45 -0400

> So, then, would the LCSC publish the UBL code list guidelines for other
> companies and include FPSC expectations in the guidelines?  FPSC would then
> document along the lines of "when using an XSD following the UBL Code List
> Guidelines document, these formatting specifications expect to find ...".
>
> Is that a logical conclusion, then?

I wasn't able to join in easily to the code list discussions in Montreal on
Tuesday, being on the other end of a phone that sounded very far away.
However, here is my take.  You could embed FPSC information into the Schemas,
but it will always be wrong or out-of-date for some groups of users.  I don't
see how it could be otherwise, that's just the way life is.  So, the question
is how to deal with that.  I previously mourned the lack of SAF (Schema Adjunct
Framework) as a suitably approved spec, since this would allow the FPSC
information to be stored externally to the Schemas, and allow alternative
definitions to be used easily instead.  As a next-best approach, I want to
float the idea of adding unique identifiers to each UBL <appinfo> element.
This would make it possible for external definitions to be keyed to the UBL
Schemas, which would allow local communities to keep the FPSC-style information
that they need as relevant and up-to-date as required

Now, if people agree that such identifiers would be useful, the obvious
question would be whether all FPSC definitions should be external and keyed to
these unique identifiers, since it would provide a good example to all and
sundry of how to make it work.

How does that sound as an idea?

	Cheers,
		Tony.
====
Anthony B. Coates
London Market Systems Limited
33 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2BR
http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/
mailto:abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
[MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/]
[FpML Arch WG Member (Financial Products Markup Language), http://www.fpml.org/]
This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material and is intended for the use of the addressee only.
Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this Email by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply  facility in your e-mail software.
Email is not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems Limited cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus infection, for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please request a hard copy. Unless otherwise stated any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not represent those of London Market Systems Limited.