Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] Rate and Ratio

I agree with Tony.

There are too many business specific meanings for each of those words, and
to try to substitute one for the other is simply inviting disaster.

A ratio means nothing without context, as Tony says 1:4 means nothing to
anyone, but if you qualify it with gear ratio, it makes sense.

A rates are typically percents, but that is not totally true in all cases
either.  In the US tax rates may be expressed as mils or as percents, so
again we are at context determining which term to use.

I will always think of speed as "measurement".  Measurement always needs a
unit of measure.  The number 4 means nothing without a unit of meausrement
associated with it.  4 km/hr means something.

This would open a hole that will never close....let's leave ratio as ratio
and rate as rate.

Regards,

____________________
Alan Stitzer