Subject: ASBIE semantics annotations (was Re: [ubl-lcsc] Re: Position Paperon List Containers)

I admit I haven't been following the list container discussion carefully
of late, but I wanted to comment on one side-item in case it has any
importance:

Anthony B. Coates wrote:
> Just for "reference".  To explain what I mean by that, in an XML Schema, when
> you define a global element, you use <element name="..." ...>...</element>.
> You can have an annotation inside this, describing the element from a global
> perspective.  If it is a <Tax> element, you might describe something about tax.
> When you want to use your global element definition somewhere, you write
> <element ref="..." ...>...</element>.  Usually there is nothing between the
> open and closing tags, but according to the XML Schema spec, you can also have
> an annotation here.  This is the "reference" case I was talking about.  It
> allows you to annotate an occurrence of <Tax> inside <Federal> differently to
> an occurrence of <Tax> inside <State>.  My point was that annotation of
> references is not widely used, and not well supported by tools (some of which
> normalise those annotations back to the <element name=...> definition,
> unhelpfully).

Don't our global elements have multiple uses necessitating multiple
references in different content models with different shades of meaning?
  This corresponds to the association BIE concept -- a "flavor" of an
aggregate BIE reflecting its use within a higher-level aggregate BIE.
My recommendation, quite a while back, was that we put the ASBIE
semantics in the <element ref=> annotations and the original ABIE
semantics in the <element name=> annotations...  It would be a shame if
this weren't possible with current tools, since otherwise those shades
of meaning have nowhere sensible to go.

	Eve
Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Products, Technologies, and Standards    eve.maler @ sun.com
SunNetwork 2003 Conference and Pavilion  http://www.sun.com/sunnetwork
September 16-18, 2003                    Moscone Center, San Francisco
An unparalleled event in network computing! Make the net work for you!