Subject: [code] Delay in testing adjunct methodologies

Hi folks,

I was presented late yesterday with a surprising state of affairs:

   http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200309/msg00067.html

The current industry-accepted approach that would be appropriate for code
list processing includes declaring defaulted and fixed attributes
describing set properties of the code list for the information of
processing applications.  We can see these in the proposed code list
documents today and they fit expectations.

But the industry-available tools aren't there yet.

I think we will have to go with a flexible approach in the design and a
hard-wired approach in the prototyping in order to progress development in
this area.  As the tools catch up with the technology the prototypes can be
changed to do as they should.

    - in XSD expression we can set an identifier for the adjunct information
      - probably should use a URN instead of a URI
    - in XSLT we can hardwire the identifier for the adjunct information
      - will need to point to and process an XML catalog to dereference
        an acceptable URI from the URN
      - users should be using a catalogue anyway for the URNs of the
        schema fragments

I'll progress with my prototyping in this direction.

--
Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-09-22
Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc