Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] [code] possible amendment to codelist strawman schemas

Just a note on the structural arrangement of codelists
with respect to other schemas within UBL.

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Stephen Green wrote:

>>This of course requires that the CoreComponentTypes schema be
>>imported and the namespace referenced.

I suspect codelist schemas will have to be as self-atomic
as possible without inclusion of what might potentially be their
"including" schemas.  When codelists are completed,
some CoreComponentTypes may utilize some codelists in turn,
leading to circular inclusion if codelist schemas themselves
include CoreComponentTypes (for need of supporting type
definition that don't use codelists).  Even if use of codelists
within CoreComponentTypes is not immediately obvious, structurally
it would leave room for such possibility if there's no inclusion
dependency required of codelist schemas on CoreComponentTypes,
whereas the converse will close such possibility for certain.

It's not difficult to separate the dependencies by duplicating
some structures that are needed by codelist schemas to put them
into a supporting file called, say, CodeListTypes on its own
namespace, to define for use by codelist schemas exclusively.

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML
Tel: +65-6820-2979