Subject: Using GUIDs was ... Re: UBL-Schema-1.0-alpha-draft-1 (Without CodeList enumeration schemas) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:48:20 +0800
From: Tim McGrath <tmcgrath@portcomm.com.au>
To: Chin Chee-Kai <cheekai@softml.net>
Subject: Using GUIDs  was ... Re: UBL-Schema-1.0-alpha-draft-1  (Without CodeList enumeration schemas)

i prefer these discussions to go on over the list.  it gives us an audit
trail and saves having to create long CC lists!

- see my comments inline.

Chin Chee-Kai wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Stephen Green wrote:
>

>>>Chee-Kai: - the GUID Type which throws an error in the schemas
>>>should be the GUID CCT (I wasn't sure how to represent this in
>>>the model)
>>>

>You'd have to change the column labeled "Representation Term"
>at the rows having references to GUID to "GloballyUniqueID".

correct - we can now represent things as GUIDs.

>I tried that with "DocumentReference" for instance.  The
>UBL Name then becomes "GloballyUniqueIdentifierGloballyUniqueID",
>unfortunately a mouthful as this case appears unique in the
>sense that there can only be one representation type
>(the GloballyUniqueIDType) associated with any reference to GUID.

that is because we had called the property term adjective  and property
term noun, 'Globally' and 'Unique Identifier' respectively.  this
duplicates the new representation term. there are two ways we can
resolve this:

1. If we make the Property Term Noun 'GloballyUniqueID' and the
Representation Term is 'GloballyUniqueID' then we drop the Property Term
so the name becomes a more manageable,
DocumentReference.GloballyUniqueID.  This is consistent with the way we
deal with other Identifiers.
or
2. Now we have a GloballyUniqueID representation term we can rethink the
property term.  for example the thing that was
DocumentReference.GloballyUniqueIdentifier is actually used to create a
universal key by which this document instance can be referenced for
audit purposes (i think thats what it is anyway!).  Therefore, it could
have a property term noun of  'Key' and  property term adjective of
'Audit' - so it's name becomes 'AuditKeyGloballyUniqueID'.  NB this also
makes us emphasise the difference between the thing we are calling an
Identifer in our Documents and References and the thing we are calling a
GUID - the current description is not clear!

personally, i think the principle of option 2. is correct. its the
naming we need to re-consider.

>Another way might be to change the CoreComponentType from
>"GloballyUniqueIDType" to "GUIDType", in which case you would
>update the "Representation Term" in Reusable to "GUID"
>(capital letters).  The final UBL Name would then be
>"GloballyUniqueIdentifierGUID".

isn't this a similar situation to what we do with Identifier become ID??

perhaps we need a NDR rule to allow us to abbreviate GloballyUniqueID to
be GUID in the UBL Name.  Incidentally, GloballyUniqueID is neither an
acronym nor a full word.  so i would suggest we make the CCT called
GloballyUniqueIdentifier (and therefore GloballyUniqueIdentifierType)
and then allow us to abbreviate the UBLname to be GUID.

anyone else have thoughts on this?

>Best Regards,
>Chin Chee-Kai
>SoftML