Subject: [code] ISO considering charging for commercial use of code lists

Good morning, folks,

A contribution to XML Dev this morning by David Megginson raised awareness
of a recommendation within ISO to charge software developers and commercial
resellers for the use of ISO code lists.

I cannot find the actual recommendation wording, but the wording is cited
in the following document:

   http://www.ncits.org/archive/2003/in031008/in031008.htm

The official response from W3C is copied in the following post:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2003JulSep/0213

Should UBL perhaps come up with a formal position of some kind since we
would expect implementers to be including code lists in commercial product
based on the UBL schema fragments we've been working on?

Is anyone aware of where one can find the *actual* wording of the ISO
recommendation so as to ensure we understand what they are asking for
without relying on another organization's citation of what they are
asking?  I hate to be knee-jerk in my reaction if the citation is out of
context, but I think the earlier something is said about this the better.

In the same email exchange I discovered a separate post has been made to
the Canadian member body list ... in which the following articles are cited:

   http://www.businessweek.com/technology/cnet/stories/5079256.htm
   http://news.com.com/2100-1032-5079256.html

I will personally be bringing this up to the Canadian member body as an
important issue of concern ... it might help to bring this up to the
awareness of other country member bodies.  I'll undertake to lead the
Canadian discussion and will report back here with any resources I find or
any conclusions we make.

--
Next public US delivery:        3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-10-13
Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-11-??

ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc