Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] [code] ISO considering charging for commercial use of code lists

At 2003-09-22 10:27 +0800, Chin Chee-Kai wrote:
>Would LSC need to obtain some permission grants from UN/ECE
>on this matter?
>
>I could proceed with the UBL-isation of those codes if there's
>such writing of permission grants.

Perhaps our answer is to ship UBL engaged with the placebo (which we were
planning anyway) and not ship a stock (which we had thought we would do)
and package the stylesheet I wrote as part of the deliverable.

Ref http://www.ncits.org/archive/2003/in030467/in030467.htm in which ISO
tells Oracle:
>Consequently if you load the list of country codes in a commercial
>product, thus giving an added value to your product, it is normal that
>ANSI asks you for the payment of a royalty fee. If you choose the other
>possibility which is to let your customers download the country codes may
>I suggest that you recommend that they download them from the ISO Web site
>as this is the only valid source for ISO 3166 country codes.

We would be choosing the "other possibility" in which our implementers and
our users utilize the list of country codes (however obtained, even if from
the UN/ECE eDocs project) by using the stylesheet I wrote:  the two inputs
are the placebo definition file and the URL of the UN/ECE file ... the
implementer/user synthesizes the code list as a private-use definition file
instead of finding it in the package as a stock definition file.

I'm still awaiting the Canadian representative to obtain an "official
stance" so that Canada can officially respond (I'm coordinating this
response; I'm an invited individual member on Canada's national Technical
Committee on Information Technology), but the XML mail lists have been busy
with people like David Carlisle discovering the URL above.

Note that ISO is saying "the list of country codes", not "the ISO files",
so I think Sue's observation of the fact that we are obtaining them from
UN/ECE is irrelevant.

In dribs and drabs I think it is becoming quite apparent that we may have
to "pass the buck" on to our users regarding these values.

Still no conclusion ... but I thought it important to share the latest that
I've seen elsewhere.

--
Next public US delivery:        3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-10-13
Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-11-??

ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc