Subject: purchase order number standard

Do any of you know of a referenced standard for length of PO number?

Marion A. Royal
202.208.4643 (Office)
202.302.4634 (Mobile)
----- Forwarded by Marion A. Royal/MEB/CO/GSA/GOV on 09/23/2003 04:45 PM
-----

                    "Pirnia,             To:     "'marion.royal@gsa.gov'" <marion.royal@gsa.gov>
                    Kathryn              cc:     "Aquino, Sandra (HHS/OS)" <Sandra.Aquino@hhs.gov>
                    (HHS/OS)"            Subject:     purchase order number standard
                    <Kathryn.Pirni
                    a@hhs.gov>

                    09/23/2003
                    04:00 PM

Marion,
           I was given you name to contact by Judy Newton at  NIST
regarding an
inquiry I had made to her regarding any known government standard for the
length of the Purchase Order (PO) number.  At HHS we are developing an
enterprise wide financial system  and have encountered an issue with the
PO#
field in Oracle financials as being limited to 20 characters where as
several of our legacy systems range from 22 to 26 characters.  I had heard
somewhere that government agencies were moving to a mandatory 27 characters
for contracts.  Was hoping to identify some federal standard to add
credence
to our discussions with Oracle.  If you know of a standard or can point me
to someone who might know of one for this data element, that would be most
helpful.  Thank You,  Kathryn

Kathryn Pirnia
UFMS Technical Lead
phone: 301-443-4529