Subject: Currency codes (ISO 4217)

I have just completed a "clean room" reconstruction of the ISO
4217 currency code list using the source approved by ISO.  In its
statement of 30 September 2003 at

   http://www.iso.org/iso/en/commcentre/pressreleases/2003/Ref871.html

ISO says:

   ISO encourages such developments by making the two-letter
   country codes contained in ISO 3166 available free of charge on
   ISO's Web site, along with a great deal of regularly updated
   information related to the codes and their use. The ISO Web
   site also has hyperlinks to the sites of the British Standards
   Institution (BSI) and the US Library of Congress - where the
   currency and language codes are, respectively, publicly
   available.

The BSI document referred to in the passage above is at

   http://www.bsi-global.com/Technical%2BInformation/Publications/_Publications/tig90x.doc

I downloaded the file "publicly available" from BSI at the address
above and extracted the currency names contained therein together
with their corresponding three-letter codes.  After editing the
list to remove duplicate entries and in some cases to disambiguate
duplicate currency names referring to different currencies, I
extracted the codes from that list and put them in alphabetical
order.  Then I put the codes into the schema format defined by
G. Ken Holman for the "raw" input to his codelist schema
transformation.

Attached is a (base-64 encoded) zip file containing the results of
this work.  The readme.txt file in this package contains the
following text:

/=================================================================
| The files in this package were created by Jon Bosak of Sun Microsystems
| 5 September 2003 from the currency code document maintained by BSI at
|
|    http://www.bsi-global.com/Technical%2BInformation/Publications/_Publications/tig90x.doc
|
| and are used under the terms of the ISO policy stated at
|
|    http://www.iso.org/iso/en/commcentre/pressreleases/2003/Ref871.html
|
| The files are as follows:
|
|    4217cod2.txt    A list of currency names and their ISO 4217 codes
|    4217cod1.txt    A list of ISO 4217 codes extracted from 4217cod2.txt
|    iso4217.xsd     An XSD file created from 4217cod1.txt
|                    in G. K. Holman's "raw" UBL file format
|
| The incremental intellectual property invested in the creation of these
| files is protected as a work in progress of the OASIS UBL Technical
| Committee.

Note that I have not yet installed Ken's conversion apparatus or
an XML validator for this revision cycle and therefore cannot
guarantee that the xsd file is syntactically correct at this
point.

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC

iso4217.zip