Subject: Fw: [ubl-lcsc] Currency codes (ISO 4217)

Title: FW: [ubl-lcsc] Currency codes (ISO 4217)

I do, indeed, agree with Tim that the UN/ECE Recommmendations are our best source.

Sue

Sue Probert
Tel: +44 1425 275117
Mobile: +44 7798 846652
email: sue.probert@dial.pipex.com <mailto:sue.probert@dial.pipex.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim McGrath [mailto:tmcgrath@portcomm.com.au]
Sent: 06 October 2003 05:09
To: jon.bosak@sun.com
Cc: ubl-lcsc@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] Currency codes (ISO 4217)

i noted that the BSI site stated they were the maintainers of ISO 4217,
but i also understood that they sold this.  what you downloaded was a
free snap-shot and a subset (my guess is it includes all the current
codes but not all the meta-data) - hence their warning about being out
of date.  to get the full code set and regular updates you need to
subscribe to the BSI service.  i am not sure where you got the date of
sept 5th 2003 but  the latest version published by ISO is ISO4217:2001.

The warning signs are that your list still has Yugoslavian Dinars (YUM)
which was replaced in February 2003 by the Serbian Dinar (CSD) and the
Euro (EUR),  in newly formed country of Serbia and Montenegro. the
Afghani changed from AFA (in your list) to AFN (the new code) when it
was devalued in October 2002.

these things go on and on... my point was that capturing these things is
fraught and the 'standard' code sets we produce need to be qualified
with this recogition.  the devil really is in those details!

i suspect sue would agree when i suggest it may be more effective to use
the Un/ECE Trade Facilitiation Code Lists at:

http://www.unece.org/cefact/trafix/bdy_code.htm

this is a maintained free-of-charge for purposes akin to ours.

jon.bosak@sun.com wrote:

>| I hope we all realise the significance of Jon's activity as it
>| impacts of the interoperability of 'standard' code sets:
>|
>| 1. he needed to manually edit these code set values, which
>| questions the integrity of the code sets and creates opportunities
>| for others to interpet them differently.  therefore, they are not
>| 'standard' anymore.
>
>I didn't need to edit the currency codes themselves, I just needed
>to resolve one very obscure duplication in the names of the
>currencies (there is a unit of currency called the kwacha that is
>used in Malawi with the code MWK and in Zambia with the code ZMK,
>so in the file 4217cod2.txt, I call the first unit "Kwacha
>(Malawi)" and the second unit "Kwacha (Zambia)").  There was
>definitely some editorial judgement involved in the inclusion of
>the whole set of codes published by BSI; for example, my list
>includes Gold with the code XAU whereas Ken's does not.  In
>practice, however, I doubt very much that these differences will
>have any practical effect.
>
>The bigger problem here is that our code list is now a snapshot of
>what was standard on 5 September 2003 and won't reflect future
>changes until and unless we revise our version.  Again, I doubt
>that this will have any big practical effect in the case of
>currencies and country codes, but it is a disconnect.
>
>| 2. the source of these code set values (BSI) is not the 'source'
>| of the standard (ISO)
>
>Well, it looks like ISO thinks it is.  That's what they're
>referring us to, anyway.  BSI does describe itself as the
>maintainer on the web page pointed to by ISO.
>
>Jon

phone: +618 93352228
postal: po box 1289   fremantle    western australia 6160