Subject: [code lists] drafct of section to put in documentation - for comment

The following is a draft for a new section to be icnluded in our documentation.  It follows from comments at Friday's LC meeting where concern was expressed that many of the issues essential to understanding the origins and use of UBL codes lists were not defined in one place.  This draft is the starting point for this consilidation.  Feel free to comment/amend/add/question as you see fit.

"The primary objective of populating codes lists within the UBL Library is to promote interoperability.  That is, by having known sets of values in enumerated lists we allow information to be exchanged unambiguously.  We recognise that other information may be useful for presenting or describing these codes, but the most effective means of conveying this additional information is yet to be established.   In UBL 1.0 we have concentrated solely on enabling interoperability by populating enumerated lists.

Strictly speaking a code is an abbreviation of  a value.  We recognize that in some cases the values in our lists are not codes but a controlled vocabulary of terms.   However, the same mechanisms can be used to support both.  This mechanism is what we refer to as the UBL code list architecture.

UBL has identified and detailed four validation perspectives, termed "code list definitions", for the values found in instance content of the type of a given code list, summarized as:

There are two sources of codes for UBL code list definitions.  The first is when the code list is created by an outside agency or organization (e.g. the UNCL TRED codes) and is available without fees or incumberances. The second is when no royalty-free external code list is available and UBL has created its own codes (e.g. OrderRejectionReasonCode).  We envisage and encourage external code agencies to establish and maintain their own code schemas for use with UBL.  However, in the first instance we accept that we will need to use localised UBL snapshots of the original codes, maintained by UBL.

Within the UBL schemas, an "in-use" directory is used to define each code list to be used during the validation process. Only values for standard definitions of code lists are validated for their content when UBL is run out-of-the-box. All other code lists are validated using the placebo definition merely as having a tokenized value, and this value is not checked against any further constraints.  Customised implementations can chose to adopt either stock or private-use code list definitions, and after any such engagement can revert to the out-of-the-box configuration by engaging the original standard or placebo code list definition.

UBL provides a catalogue of the code lists in the UBL Library.  This catalogue also describes other meta-data that may be of significance to users of the codes. "

phone: +618 93352228