Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] [code lists] drafct of section to put in documentation - for comment

This is a well-written document, Tim!

I'm assuming this will be the section 9 of:

   http://ubl.cim3.org/~lcsc/lcsc-distribution-v1-0_alpha/UBLv1-alpha/UBLv1.1-alpha-index_css.html

but I had supplied to Lisa and Bill a simple tool-oriented paragraph for
section 9 that I don't see above, so perhaps I have the wrong address for
the "working directory" for creating the draft release.  Please let me know
where I should be looking for the latest and greatest draft release.

The only inconsistency that I found was here:

At 2003-10-25 13:59 +0800, Tim McGrath wrote:
>    * Placebo: These are code lists whose values SHOULD be agreed upon
> between trading partners. UBL SHALL NOT enforce any validation of the
> coded values in these code lists. These are implemented by using  the
> generic "normalized string" data type for these elements in which these
> coded values belong.  Applications working with the instances have the
> responsibility of validating any content found for these codes.

>    Within the UBL schemas, an "in-use" directory is used to define each
> code list to be used during the validation process. Only values for
> standard definitions of code lists are validated for their content when
> UBL is run out-of-the-box. All other code lists are validated using the
> placebo definition merely as having a tokenized value, and this value is
> not checked against any further constraints.

I'm not sure what the latest decision was regarding the placebo validation
as either normalized-string or token ... I had thought it was token the
last time I was involved with the discussion ... but the above two
paragraphs are not in sync.

>Customised implementations can chose to adopt either stock or private-use
>code list definitions, and after any such engagement can revert to the
>out-of-the-box configuration by engaging the original standard or placebo
>code list definition.
>
>UBL provides a catalogue of the code lists in the UBL Library.  This
>catalogue also describes other meta-data that may be of significance to
>users of the codes.

(the following is an edited version of the tool-oriented paragraph I had
supplied earlier and would follow the above last two paragraphs of Tim's work)

===8<---
UBL also provides an XSLT stylesheet for the synthesis of private-use code
list definitions suitable for use in UBL validation.  Using this
stylesheet, the placebo definition for the desired code list, and a user's
XML expression of the private code list values (which may, indeed, be a W3C
Schema enumerated data type expression or other regularly structured XML
instance), one can mechanically produce a UBL-compatible validation
fragment as a W3C Schema enumerated data type expression.  Please see
<<code/index.html>> for instructions regarding synthesizing private-use
code lists.
===8<---

I'll work today on the code/ subdirectory contents.  I may also find the
time to revamp the fs/ subdirectory as well with updated information.  I'm
assuming that I again send both files to both Lisa and Bill.  Please advise
off-line if otherwise, and also if I'm using the wrong URL for draft review.

Thanks!

........................ Ken

p.s. and thanks again for your patience while I was out-of-touch and on the
road teaching over the last four weeks!  I'm out Mon-Fri this week but will
be in San Francisco with you for at least Mon-Wed and possibly Thursday.

--
Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-01-??
Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc