Subject: Origin of CardTypeCode for Credit Cards

Stephen Green has raised an issue about the BBIE CardTypeCode

The original intention of CardTypeCode was to denote the authority responsible for the credit card.

It was taken from the CardTypeCode of xCBL3.0 which says...

This code identifies the type of card used for payment.

Value: Enumeration, including:

However, the definition for CardTypeCode "the type of card used for payment", could be misunderstood as being 'credit' or 'debit' card - this was not its original intent.

So what is needed is better definition of CardTypeCode and perhaps a new BBIE for AccountTypeCode?

My web research has revealed that the generic term for organisations in the enumerated list above is 'networks'.  So perhaps the correct Property Term for this is Network, rather than Type qualified by Card (as it is at present).  That is we have NetworkCode.

But of course these are not really 'codes', to connect with another debate - these are identifiers.  So another possibility is to call it NetworkID.  This also complements IssuerID (identifies the organisation issuing the card).  That is , we could have Network ID (identifies the organisation managing the interchange of payment information).

any suggestions?

phone: +618 93352228