Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] Modeling Core Component Types

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:01:40 +0800, Tim McGrath <tmcgrath@portcomm.com.au>
wrote:

> To date, we have relied upon hand crafted schemas to define these.  This
> has resulted in a few problems...
>
> a. the schemas have to be mapped to the representation terms in the UBL
> models.
> b. they have not always bewen synchronized with other deliverables
> c. the provide a disjointed view of the overall UBL library.
>
> Over the past few weeks we had had various discussions about how to deal
> with this in a more controlled manner.

For MDDL we had exactly this issue.  I considered using UML for developing
a model from which to generate the Schemas, but what put me off is the
lack of a constraint language for UML diagrams.  It means you can't
contrain what things people put in a model, and beyond the obvious quality
control issues, it makes it much harder to write the conversion scripts if
you have to deal with everybody's slightly different ways of using UML.

Instead, I worked out what our underlying data model was, and I
constructed an XML Schema for that (it's a meta-schema when compared to
the Schema that MDDL releases for normal use).  It's easy then to
construct the data model in XML, constrained by the Schema, and easy to
generate a release Schema from it.  It certainly has improved our quality
assurance, and focusses people's minds on modelling, rather than on which
Schema features to use for different things.

I'd be happy to discuss how this could be done for CCTS, if you're
interested.

	Cheers,
		Tony.

--
Anthony B. Coates
London Market Systems Limited
33 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2BR
http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/
mailto:abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
[MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/]
[FpML Arch WG Member (Financial Products Markup Language),
http://www.fpml.org/]
This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material
and is intended for the use of the addressee only.
Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this Email by mistake
please advise the sender immediately by using the reply  facility in your
e-mail software.
Email is not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems
Limited cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of
this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus
infection, for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no
responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please
London Market Systems Limited.