Subject: Re: [ubl-lcsc] Modeling Core Component Types

In a message dated 2/14/2004 12:56:26 PM Eastern Standard Time, abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com writes:
For MDDL we had exactly this issue.  I considered using UML for developing
a model from which to generate the Schemas, but what put me off is the
lack of a constraint language for UML diagrams.  It means you can't
contrain what things people put in a model, and beyond the obvious quality
control issues, it makes it much harder to write the conversion scripts if
you have to deal with everybody's slightly different ways of using UML.
Tony,

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but MagicDraw (www.magicdraw.com) supports UML 1.4 which in turn supports constraints attached to classifiers associations and interfaces. The constraints themselves can be "textual" or in OCL (Object Constrain Language, a standard syntax).

I find that UML is good for describing gross structure, but when you get to a high amount of detail, the diagrams become unwieldy and large, and therefore not very useful.

Marty