ubl-lsc message

Subject: [ubl-lsc] FYI: First draft: UBL and verticals

LSC members,

Here's a copy of something I'm posting to the Marketing SC list.

Jon

At our meeting in Menlo Park, we decided that we needed a
statement of the ubl value proposition for industry verticals, and
I took responsibility for creating the first draft of this
document.  See below.

The review process for this thing is going to be tricky.  The
conversation started in the Liaison SC and ended in the Marketing
SC.  In the tc plenary, msc asserted ownership of this, and we
decided then that it would first be reviewed by msc and then by lsc.

In looking at it now, however, I don't think that this
serialization really makes sense.  At this stage, I want input
from the union set of msc and lsc.  Peter Yim ran into a similar
problem in trying to work out something jointly with the ttsc and
the lcsc.  I don't have a good solution for this.  Cross-posting
is NOT the solution, but I don't know what is.  (If you have
something you want to say about this, please contact me directly;
I don't want to start a general discussion of mail list logistics
right now.)

Here's what I'm going to suggest in the current instance.  I'm
going to post this message on the msc list and post a copy of
the message in the lsc list.  And then I'm going to ask for
comments on the draft OFF THE LIST, i.e., directly to me.  I will
respond to the comments privately and probably make changes to
reflect whatever input I get.  Maybe I'll push back privately if I
don't agree with a suggested change, but that's OK because we will
work through repeated iterations until everyone's happy.
If someone raises an issue that can't be resolved this way,
we will take it to the appropriate list for general discussion.
When I stop getting comments on revised drafts, then we're done.

So: members of the msc and lsc, please review this and send
comments directly to me.  I will revise in light of input and keep
posting drafts until we get general agreement.

Jon

UBL AND VERTICAL INDUSTRY XML STANDARDS

The Problem with XML Industry Standardization

   XML was designed for the specification of multiple data formats
   optimized for different data exchange applications.  So the
   recent explosion of XML specifications resulting from the
   efforts of industry associations to develop domain-specific
   markup languages is neither unexpected nor detrimental.  In one
   area, however, these otherwise beneficial XML industry
   initiatives are creating interoperability problems and impeding
   the development of inexpensive software.  That area is the
   specification of XML schemas for common business documents such
   as purchase orders and invoices.

   While different industries frequently do have slightly
   different requirements for these common business forms, their
   similarities far outweigh their differences, and most of the
   work devoted to the design of these forms in each industry
   segment is simply wasted effort that would better be deployed
   in work on XML schemas for the data that is truly specific to a
   given industry.  The goal of UBL is to standardize XML schemas
   for common business documents so that industry organizations
   can concentrate on the part of the data interchange problem in
   which they have special expertise.

The OASIS UBL TC

   The OASIS UBL (Universal Business Language) Technical Committee
   is an open, publicly accountable, nonprofit initiative to
   define a common XML library for basic business documents like
   purchase orders, invoices, and advance shipping notices.  UBL
   will provide a set of XML building blocks together with a
   framework that will enable trading partners to unambiguously
   identify and exchange basic e-commerce documents in specific
   business contexts.

   The OASIS UBL effort builds on the ebXML infrastructure for XML
   registry, messaging, and trading partner agreements, developed
   in a partnership between OASIS and the United Nations and now
   under the management of OASIS technical committees.  UBL also
   builds on two other key deliverables of the initial ebXML
   effort -- the X12/EDIFACT Core Components catalog and the ebXML
   analysis of context-driven document design.

   UBL will unite and harmonize a number of currently existing XML
   and EDI business libraries into a set of internationally
   recognized de jure standards.  The arrival of a standard set of
   XML business schemas will solve major interoperability problems
   for both vendors and users and will jump-start the entry of
   small and medium-size businesses into the electronic
   marketplace.  UBL will be freely available to everyone without
   legal encumbrance or licensing fees.

   OASIS, the Organization for the Advancement of Structured
   Information Standards, is a nonprofit corporation founded in
   1993 to advance interoperability in data exchange through the
   use of SGML, the precursor to XML.  Over the last two years,
   OASIS has become known for its partnership with UN/CEFACT in
   the ongoing ebXML initiative to establish a standard XML-based
   framework for electronic commerce.  As a member of the
   international Management Group that coordinates the bodies
   responsible for global electronic commerce standards, OASIS is
   well positioned to develop the common business library and to
   advance it through its partner bodies to the status of an
   international standard recognized as a legal basis for world
   trade.

The UBL Value Proposition for Industry Associations

   The separate development of basic business documents in
   multiple industry consortia is not just a waste of effort; it
   is also a recipe for noninteroperability.  It is a rare
   business that needs to exchange data only within its own
   industry.  A company in the chemical industry, for example, may
   need to buy containers from a company in the steel products
   industry so that it can sell paint to a company in the
   automobile industry.

   The amount of customization needed to configure systems for
   data exchange across industry boundaries is in inverse
   proportion to the amount of standardization achieved in the
   definition of the data formats.  But true cross-industry
   standardization can only occur in an effort that stands outside
   of any particular industry while providing an organizational
   structure that provides for global consultation among
   industries.  UBL is such an effort.

The Advantages of Joint Development

   Pooling resources to develop a single set of XML schemas for
   generic business documents has a number of advantages.

    - Joint development is the only way to promote the
      interoperability of basic business documents across industry
      boundaries.

    - Joint development is a much more effective use of resources
      than the separate development of the same basic documents in
      multiple standards organizations.

    - Joint development also allows us to combine marketing
      resources, enhancing the profile of the effort and promoting
      its adoption.

    - Outsourcing the development of "vanilla" business documents
      to a joint effort enables each industry association to focus
      on the documents that are unique to that industry.

    - The development of a common XML business library will enable
      the creation of inexpensive, off-the-shelf tools for
      performing everyday supply-chain operations.

    - Pooling our business and technical expertise will ensure a
      better set of standards, one that addresses a larger body of
      business cases and exhibits a superior design.

    - Placing ownership of the resulting work in a nonprofit
      organization open to all interested parties and dedicated to
      the free publication of its specifications will ensure that
      the joint work will remain free of proprietary control.

The Role of Industry Associations in UBL

   Defining a set of standard XML business schemas that will
   support legacy EDI systems across industry boundaries is
   challenging work; doing it free of vendor control without the
   contribution of expert labor would be impossible.  An open,
   nonprofit effort like UBL can succeed only if its intended
   users do their part to make it happen.

   Industry associations have a special role to play in UBL.  The
   goal of interoperability requires that every industry in which
   UBL is intended to be used must certify that the UBL schemas
   will support the data exchanged in their business transactions
   with suppliers and customers.  As the owners of
   industry-specific business expertise, industry consortia are
   the organizations best qualified to perform this function.

The UBL Liaison Subcommittee

   To coordinate the review of UBL schemas by industry
   organizations, the UBL TC has established a special group, the
   UBL Liaison Subcommittee, whose members are individuals
   formally appointed by industry consortia to represent their
   interests in the UBL work.  The initial members of the UBL
   Liaison Subcommittee include RosettaNet (IT industry), EIDX
   (electronics industry), ARTS (retail sales), and XBRL
   (accounting professionals).

   Members of the Liaison Subcommittee make the following
   commitments to UBL:

   1. To join OASIS as individual or organizational members.
      Individual membership in OASIS costs only USD 250 per year;
      see http://www.oasis-open.org/join for details.

   2. To attend Liaison SC phone conferences every two weeks.
      Travel is not necessary.

   3. To arrange for periodic reviews of UBL specifications by
      business experts within each liaison organization.

   4. To help schedule UBL TC meetings in a way that minimizes
      conflict with industry conferences and other important
      events and promotes cooperation between the industry
      organizations represented in UBL.

   5. To participate in a cross-industry alliance dedicated to the
      definition of free vendor-neutral XML business standards.

Information about UBL

   More information on UBL can be found on its web page at

      http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl

   A white paper on UBL is available at

      http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/msc/200112/ubl.pdf

Conclusion

   The UBL effort represents a conversation between the world's
   industry organizations on how best to arrive at a worldwide
   consensus on the form of common business data.  If your
   organization wishes to take part in this conversation, please
   contact the chair of the UBL TC, Jon Bosak <jon.bosak@sun.com>.