ubl-lsc message

Subject: UBL Liaison SC update

Hello UBL Liaisons,

I hope you had a good summer!  In this message I'd like to bring
you up to date on UBL progress and let you know where we're going
from here.

In May, the UBL TC met in London and incorporated over a hundred
comments, many of them from organizations represented in the LSC,
into the UBL data models.  It also decided to open up an extra
review cycle over the summer so that we could get focused input
from three organizations in particular -- RosettaNet, OAG, and the
OASIS eGov TC.  We released an interim set of data models called
"0.8" for this review, but did not widely publicize it or attempt
to recreate any of the other pieces of the 0.7 package, since all
we were interested in was checking to make sure that we were
capturing the business semantics needed by these groups.  We also
didn't make a special effort to achieve a quorum in the LSC, since
we knew that many of you would be gone on vacation and would not
be terribly interested in coordination with the three groups
involved in the 0.8 review.

Letting the LSC coast for the summer also allowed us to delay
dealing with a problem caused by the transition of the OASIS mail
lists to a new system.  The problem is that you now have to be a
paying member of OASIS before you can be subscribed to the mailing
lists.  Several of you have objected to this on the grounds that
you shouldn't have to pay for the privilege of contributing your
organization's input to UBL, and I completely agree with you.  In
fact, OASIS has a provision specifically allowing it to extend
fee-waived memberships to liaisons.  Despite repeated requests,
however, I have so far been unable to achieve any progress in this
area.

Since we need to move ahead, therefore, I am simply going to
manually include unpaid members of the LSC on the list of people
addressed in LSC messages and ask the rest of you to do the same.
You've all been formally designated as UBL liaisons by the UBL TC,
and as far as I'm concerned, that makes you voting members of this
subcommittee, mail list problems notwithstanding.

Another fallout from the change in systems has been the
disappearance of our LSC web page.  An old version remains at the
old address (oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/lsc), but we have no
way of updating it.  I have just created a new version at the new
address; see

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/sc_home.php?wg_abbrev=ubl-lsc

Please review this at your earliest opportunity and let me know
whether anything pertaining to the description of your
organization needs to be added or changed.  Some of this is a
couple of years old and probably needs to be updated.

Note that you can't see the Liaison calendar from this public
page; to access that, you have to go to the members-only version:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ubl/ubl-lsc/

The calendar can be found under "Recent Documents" over on the
right side of the page.  This is visible only to people on the LSC
mail list, however, so I've also appended a copy below.

UBL is now at quite an exciting juncture for everyone who's been
working on it for the last two years.  The data models for 1.0 are
being completed this week, and alpha schema generation is already
in progress.  The 1.0 beta package appears to be on schedule for
release at the beginning of November, just in time for our next
UBL TC meeting, which takes place at the Sun Microsystems drop-in
center in downtown San Francisco the week of 11/3-11/7.  You
are, of course, invited to attend.

Whether you can come to the TC meeting in person or not, you
should make every effort to attend the next LSC call, which is
scheduled for 8 a.m. California time Monday 6 October at this
number:

   U.S. domestic toll-free number: (866)839-8189
   Int. access/caller paid number: (865)525-0625
   Access code: 5819636

In addition to the usual calendar review, we will have several
important items to discuss, chief among them the coordination of
input from liaison groups implementing UBL 1.0 Beta during the
implementation review, which is scheduled to run through January
2004 and catch any show-stoppers before UBL 1.0 goes to OASIS as a
committee specification in February.  I hope you can attend.

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL Liaison Subcommittee

calendar.htm