Subject: RE: [ubl-ndrsc] Code lists: discussion kickoff

At 11:46 AM 1/31/02 -0500, CRAWFORD, Mark wrote:
> > Finally, regarding the "enumerations of the xsd:string type" vs. "one
> > element per code list value" choice itself, I'm not sure I
> > buy the argument
> > that the latter is better.  It could potentially swell the
> > number of UBL
> > elements by orders of magnitude, and the infrastructure
> > needed to document
> > and manage elements would seem to outweigh the benefits for
> > these little
> > values.
>
>Not sure I understand.  Could you expand pls.

My (probably flawed) understanding of the main issue covered in Mike's
position paper was that he was advocating <vanilla/>, <chocolate/>,
<strawberry/> elements rather than <IceCream flavorCode="vanilla">...  If
there are really thousands of values in some code lists, I quail at the
thought of having to maintain definitions and documentation for all those
elements.

         Eve