Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Re: Minutes for 6 February 2002 UBL NDR meeting

At 05:28 PM 2/8/02 -0800, Eduardo Gutentag wrote:
>"Eve L. Maler" wrote:
> > Eduardo, please note the ACTION below that the SC hoped you would take
> > on.  Can you positively acknowledge this?
>
>I believe there might be an error in the minutes; I have no recollection
>of volunteering for this. This may be a voice-identification issue.

I believe people discussed this after you dropped off, and they hoped you
would be willing to take on this action item after being informed that the
task needs doing.

>Talking about confusion, I have a problem with the use of the term "leaf".
>For me that refers to a non-branching element, that is an element with
>attributes and data, but with no further elements contained in it. Many
>people seem to use "leaf" with a rather different meaning. Could someone
>explain to me what do they mean by "leaf"?

Unfortunately, I wasn't in the conversation either.  I hope someone will
speak up to clarify.

For my part, I think there's a clue in the CC structure that Mike R.
referred to in his recent message: the difference between the primary
content of a CC and its supplementary components.  For an element that
directly contains characters, it would be a fairly clean and
"deterministic" break to say that its content should be the primary content
associated with that CC and the supplementary components should be attributes.

However, I fear that this may offer only a false hope if, for example, some
of the supplementary components have (or would benefit from) internal
structure.

Also, if this is such a good dividing line, it would work for non-leaf
elements as well as leaf elements.  E.g., the primary content would be in
the form of some structured subelements and the supplementary components
could easily be attributes.

I think it's time for a set of examples that's varied enough for us to test
the different scenarios.  Perhaps we can extract such a thing from the
growing PartyExample.  Arofan, can you speak to this?

         Eve