Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] [Fwd: Fwd: ISO 3166-1 -- Change of Alpha-3CodeElement for Romania]

This discussion has hit enough different points that I'm somewhat unclear about
the original point.  However, there have been a few things said that I find
somewhat discomforting or not on target.

May I offer a few "bottom-line" points regarding codes, representations, etc :
Codes are generally used for dictates imposed by business applications, and that
is where we really need to base our decisions.  If a code lists offers both a
numeric representation and an alphanumeric one for the code value (there may be
some, but I've never seen any that do), then we choose the one most used by
business applications.  That should be a no-brainer.

In addition, most code lists are neutral to spoken languages when we consider
the code value (which is what appears in the datastream) and not the code
description.

I don't see the problem.  Is there something here I'm missing???

Cheers,

Mike