Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] [Fwd: Fwd: ISO 3166-1 -- Change ofAlpha-3CodeElement for Romania]

Phil Griffin wrote <snipped>:

> > I don't see the problem.  Is there something here I'm missing???
>
> No problem. Just use 642 and you've got a stable
> identifier that's independent of national language. :-)

I don't think this is a solution.  If we did a quick check, I'll bet that most
business applications actually use the 3 character ISO code.  That means that they
already have the "ROU" vs. "ROM" problem that you're referring to, and there's nothing
we can do to fix that for them.  If we tell them to use the numeric code, we're
forcing everyone to convert to and from the numeric code when they could just use the
alphanumeric code.

I think that for the rare cases where there are both alphanumeric and numeric versions
of the same code list, we should let the business folks (the library SC) decide which
to use.

--
Michael C. Rawlins, Rawlins EC Consulting
www.rawlinsecconsulting.com