Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Re: Minutes for 6 February 2002 UBL NDR meeting

At 04:19 PM 2/11/02 -0800, Eduardo Gutentag wrote:
>Unfortunately, this definition by reference still does not tell me what
>exactly is a leaf element, particularly as it's peppered with howevers.
>Sorry for appearing thick (or being, as some would assert;-)) but I still
>don't understand what a leaf element is, and I can't create an example
>thereof.

Though we didn't write it down, at the F2F we treated "leaf elements" as
meaning "elements that don't have structured subelement content".  This
potentially includes:

- Elements that contain characters directly

- Elements that contain a mixture of both characters and subelements

- Elements that are empty -- but we haven't decided yet whether these count
as leaf elements for the purpose of element naming

I'm not sure that knowing this would help you with the actual assignment
regarding attribute patterns (should you choose to accept it),
though.  That was the point of my admittedly most off-topic response to
your question last time...

         Eve