Subject: RE: [ubl-ndrsc] [Fwd: Global attributes]

-----Original Message-----
From: Eve L. Maler [mailto:eve.maler@sun.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 4:47 PM
Cc: ubl-ndrsc@lists.oasis-open.org

> Dear all
> we need to decide on whether global attributes should be named or
> declared any differently to local ones.
>
> Right now I don't see the need. Gunther suggested all global attributes are
> defined in the attribute UidAttributeGroup. Currently, only uid, uidRef,
> uidRefs and xs:language are global right now.

I think we may have a problem in saying that we'll name global
attributes like local attributes, since we say we'll name local
attributes as if they were elements, and (except for top-level elements)
these are named as properties of an object class.  Just like top-level
elements, global elements nominally don't have an object class.

[Burcham, Bill]  Do we need to separate the discussion into a) the attribute name and b) the dictionary entry name for the attribute?  I believe Eve is talking about (b) here.  So, my take is that if we choose to make attributes global then their dictionary entry names might simply be:

attributeName

[Burcham, Bill] (as opposed to ObjectClass.attributeName) Making the dictionary entries for attributes global means they can "clash" with our type names (object classes). That is, from the perspective of the data dictionary, attribute names and (complex) type names will be represented in the same (global) namespace.

As for the attribute name itself (issue a) I don't think we have any such issue of name clashes because I believe that global attributes are in a separate namespace-thingy from global types, i.e. you can have a global attribute and a global type of the same name without ambiguity. (I used the term namespace-thingy because the XSD spec calls it something other than 'namespace' for obvious reasons).

I don't think it would be *hard* to figure out names for global
attributes, but our naming advice so far is insufficient to explain how
to do it.

[Burcham, Bill] <munch>

        Eve
--
Eve Maler                                    +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center   eve.maler @ sun.com