Subject: RE: [ubl-ndrsc] FW: Another item for issue tracking list.

Title: FW: Another item for issue tracking list.
It sure is good to have more experts evaluating our proposals.  Each of our proposals stand in various degrees of formalization.  The Paella proposal includes what could be called use-cases (see xpaths.txt) along with executable realizations of same, in the form of a little XSLT stylesheet (use-cases.xsl).  The latter can be run against each of the instance documents (ubl-doc.xml, company-{x|y|z}.xml) to demonstrate abilities of the proposed solution.

Arofan: could you please ask Mette Heddin to deconstruct her analysis a level or two by critiquing either a) the use-cases or b) their realization as XSLT or c) the demonstrated ability of the proposal at hand to address those use-cases.  Depending on where she thinks the proposal falls down then we may be able to address it with a) adding a use-case b) repairing the XSLT realization of the use-case to expose the shortcoming of the proposal, c) adjust the proposal so that its demonstrable abilities are less "very bad".

Said another way: viewed as a tiny formal system, the Paella proposal is fairly self-consistent.  That means that if the proposal isn't "good" then that is either because the system isn't really self-consistent (b above) ; or it is self-consistent but fails to model the right real-world problems (a above) ; or it is self-consistent, and represents the right real-world problems, but the test results have been misinterpreted (c above).

At the risk of stating the obvious, the benefit of deconstructing in this way is that it will lead us to capture use-cases we can agree on, in an executable form that can be applied to all the proposals.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory, Arofan [mailto:arofan.gregory@commerceone.com]
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 1:20 PM
To: 'ubl-ndrsc@lists.oasis-open.org'

Folks:

Here's an opinion from the Commerce One woman who does all of our schema-based data binding to java.

She's underwhelmed with the abstract-type approach (Paella), and she comes at this from an eminently practical point of view (she's done java development for both SOX and XSD at this point, and is one of my go-to engineers for the reality of some of the stuff we come up with in UBL NDR.)

For what its worth...

Cheers,

Arofan