Subject: RE: [ubl-ndrsc] Analysis of supplementary component problem

Eve/Team:

I half agree with Mike rawlins, and half not...

There is always the approach where you know a component is a component's
sub-component, make that clear in the name, and establish it as a sibling.
We inherited some attributes like this from the original designers of xCBL
2.0, and simply came up with a naming convention to reflect the similarity.

Take language, as an example. In fact (whether you use xml:lang or not) this
is a structured piece of data, as it contains a language code and a locale
code when used to fully designate a lnaguage. If you can't encapsulate this
in an element structure, a pair of attributes such as "language.code" and
"language.locale.code" can designate the fact that the two are related
(assuming you don't use the xml:lang way, and make everybody parse the
string).

If you wanted to make these real codes, so that you can validate with a
parser against an enumeration, however, you will end up with a huge flat
stack of attributes, with weird names. This is a good reason to revisit our
decision to only use attributes for supplementary components. I think we are
establishing a set of cases where we should allow element constructs at the
component level (in cases where they have sub-components), rather than let
ourselves be ruled by a hobgoblinish need for consistency.

Cheers,

Arofan