Subject: [ubl-ndrsc] Business Rules

 I found the following text as part of a XML guideline I was on the team to
develop.  I know we have skimmed over business rules as of yet, so I thought
it might help us get started on the idea of business rules and where they
belong:

XML Schemas support strong datatyping through the use of primitive and
derived datatypes.  Where possible XML data types are used to define data
elements and define business rules which are likely to apply to all
implementations.

XML Schema does not provide a mechanism to adequately define complex
(especially conditional) business rules.  In general, complex business rules
are not implemented by the XML Schema.  The enforcement of business rules
should be implemented by mechanisms outside of the XML Schema such as
·         an XSL stylesheet,
·         an Enterprise Application Integration (EAI) product
·         a custom program written by the trading partners

The Implementation Guideline document defines each transaction  and
associated general business rules and constraints.  Trading partners can use
the Implementation Guideline to define specific business rules for their
particular transactions and as a basis for partner-specific rules.

Lisa Seaburg
AEON Consulting
Website: http://shell.gmi.net/~xmlgeek/
Email:  xmlgeek@gmi.net
Phone: 662-562-7676
Cellphone: 662-501-7676

"Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"