Subject: [ubl-ndrsc] Date/time comments from Michael Grimley

I'm passing these along at Jessica's/Mike's request.  Let's plan on
discussing these, and other date/time comments that have come in, next week.

	Eve

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Todays telecons
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 09:37:48 -0400
From: Grimley Michael J NPRI <GrimleyMJ@Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil>
To: "'JGLACE@lmi.org'" <JGLACE@lmi.org>
CC: "'eve.maler@sun.com'" <eve.maler@sun.com>,   "'MJGrimley@acm.org'"
<MJGrimley@acm.org>

Jessica,

I'm going to be late for the NDRSC telecon, and will *not* make the DON
XML AT2 telecon.

For the NDR telecon, I do have a few comments which I hope you could
relate for me.

In the NDR document, Section 6, Date and Time:

     6.1.1 The XML Schema recommendation allows three different
representations of date/time. Should we restrict the use to just one? I
would recommend the canonical form (all dates/time are Zulu Time (GMT),
indicated by a trailing z); this would allow for more efficient processing.

     6.1.2 Might we want to disallow truncated form, unless the time
component being truncated is at the trailing end? For example, a
duration of 3 years, 11 months, 4 days and 15 minutes can be represented
in the following ways:

         1) P3Y11M4DT15M
         2) P3Y11M4DT0H15M  (I recommend this one; again, to facillitate
processing.)
         3) P3Y11M4DT0H15M0S

I hope to make it for the last hour or so of the NDRSC telecon, but you
know how meetings can go...

Thanks,
Mike Grimley

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 883 5917
XML Web Services / Industry Initiatives      eve.maler @ sun.com