Subject: [Fwd: [ubl-ndrsc] Proposed language for new guiding principle]

I can't find a record that we discussed/approved this.  Perhaps Mavis
can pop the wording into the NDR document as provisional, and we can
discuss whenever we work through that part of the document next.

	Eve

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:31:04 -0400
From: Eve L. Maler <eve.maler@Sun.COM>
To: ubl-ndrsc <ubl-ndrsc@lists.oasis-open.org>

We talked last time about possibly adding a new guiding principle
regarding being able to "push the button" successfully and get good
schemas.  Here is my suggestion; if we get agreement on some wording, we
can add it to the NDR doc.  (Should we simultaneously try this out on
the LC SC?)

"Generating syntax from the model: Most of the schema modules in the UBL
Library are generated automatically from the underlying model in order
to ensure faithful adherence to the model.  Therefore, the UBL design
process needs to ensure successful automation.  For example, the model
needs to provide enough information to take advantage of schema
constraint opportunities, and the design rules that apply to these need
to avoid requiring human judgment at generation time."

Let's discuss this tomorrow.

Thanks,

	Eve

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 883 5917
XML Web Services / Industry Initiatives      eve.maler @ sun.com